[MINC-development] set_cache_output_volume_parameters in minc2, 64 bits

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 19:41:49 EDT 2007

Hi Claude,

Seems like you are very busy breaking MINC as of late... :)  Myself I
disable caching alltogether (and let the OS look after it) in
volume_io.

ie:

   export VOLUME_CACHE_THRESHOLD=1000000000

Apparently if you set it to 0 this works too, but the above looks more
impressive.

I have a long term goal of just removing all the caching code from
volume_io but it is very low on my list given the new MINC2 interfaces
that bert wrote.

On 9/13/07, Claude LEPAGE <claude at bic.mni.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Any minc developers out there?
>
> I stumbled across a seg fault running classify this morning while testing the
> latest image-processing tools in minc2. The problem appears to be due to volume
> caching, as in the following example taken from classify:
>
>       if ( cache_set ) {
>         set_cache_output_volume_parameters(fuzzy_volume[k],
>                                            fuzzy_filename[k],
>                                            fuzzy_type,
>                                            FALSE,
>                                            fuzzy_voxel_min,
>                                            fuzzy_voxel_max,
>                                            input_filename[0],
>                                            history,
>                                            (minc_output_options *) NULL ) ;
>
>       } /* if ( cache_set ) */
>
> There are other functions associated with caching as well. The seg fault occurs
> while writing the minc file.
>
> When I deactivated caching in classify (it has a convenient -nocache option),
> then execution completed normally, giving the same output as minc1 with cache.
> Compilation was on a Linux 64-bit Red Hat machine, gcc 3.4.4. The problem does
> not seem to show up in minc2 in 32 bits, nor in minc1 32 or 64 bits. I'm using
> the pre-release minc-2.0.13 package.
>
> Perhaps someone has some free time to look at this problem as I don't have
> time right now. Given that I found an easy way to bypass the problem, I'm not
> too motivated to play in the source code if I don't have too. :-)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> bye
>
> Claude

Andrew Janke   (a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)
Canberra->Australia    +61 (402) 700 883