[MINC-development] bug in emma's miwriteimages

Michael Ferreira mferre at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Mon Nov 5 17:22:18 EST 2007

Hi Minc-developers,

There's a small, annoying bug in the compiled binary of emma's
miwriteimages that people are running into a lot these days.  This is an
error message obtained when creating a file that has more than 160 slices:

Error: Too many slices specified (max 160)

I've checked the source code of miwriteimages.c which I found on the BIC
network in Bert's web directory:
   /data/web/users/bert/emma-0.9.8.tar.gz

The 160 comes from a #DEFINE at the start of miwriteimages.c:

#define MAX_WRITEABLE 160    /* maximum number of images we can write */
			     /* in one go (this is the same as  */
			     /* MAXREADABLE in mireadimages.c */

I changed this to 1024, compiled the binary on Irix and Linux and the
error was avoided.  Could anyone suggest a better way to deal with
this issue?  Would it be good idea to remove this limit completely?

Thanks,

mike