[MINC-development] [geeks] For the bored or morbidly interested

Steve Robbins smr at sumost.ca
Mon Nov 20 10:11:17 EST 2006

Quoting Andrew Janke <a.janke at gmail.com>:

> whatisit? yet another way of running a MINC pipe that handles
> dependencies, I know that steve robbins had a hack at this a while ago
> and he even wrote his own make replacement from what I remember.

Yes, I wrote a tool in perl that computed dependencies and the like.
Later on, I gave it all up and used a simple Makefile as you are doing.

If I had to do it again, I'd use scons: a make replacement where you
can write rules in python.  I don't have any direct experience with it
yet, but scons seems to be designed to support parallelism very well.

-Steve
P.S.  I just learned that cons (a perl-based predecessor to scons)
already existed at the time I had written my perl tool.