[MINC-development] For the bored or morbidly interested

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 03:36:36 EST 2006

May I present shell-pipe 0.1.

yes, it is currently flaky, yes it only sort of works, yes I do like
to re-invent the wheel.

whatisit? yet another way of running a MINC pipe that handles
dependencies, I know that steve robbins had a hack at this a while ago
and he even wrote his own make replacement from what I remember.

so what _really_ is it? a bunch of simple shell scripts that do some
basic pre-processing on a series of MINC files and a Makefile to put
it all together.

Good stuff:

   * you can now just add another subject and type make.

   * you can update a script, type make and "the right thing" will happen

   * you can replace a native file with a new one and "the right
thing" will happen -- unless of course you are evil and change the
mtime.

   * you can add another script and type make.

So, yes I have tried to make it as fault tolerant and extensible as I
can, but it still amounts to a few shell scripts and a Makefile as
opposed to yet another rppl/civet/etc. My plan here is not to take
over the world (yet) but instead to try to provoke a bit of thought in
a slightly different direction to what we usually seem to.   That and
the fact that Claude now builds his whole quarantine from a Makefile
so it will integrate _very_ nicely with this. (for the binaries
anyhow).

Now if I could just bend autoconf to my needs i could make (ha pun!) a
version in automake/conf.

Without further ado, get it here (or attached):

   ~rotor/shell-pipe-0.1.tar.gz

or in minc_dev/shell-pipe for the CVS types.

As i said there are still a few bugs so be sure to use make -k as
opposed to just make.  You will also have to run make twice for some
esoteric reason that I cannot fathom that is to do with vpath
directives.

There is a rudimentary README in there as well.

--
Andrew Janke   (a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)
Canada->Montreal                                   Cell: +1 (514) 924 2012