[MINC-development] MINC 2 - re transitioning from MINC 1

Jason Lerch jason at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Mon Jan 23 08:14:44 EST 2006

.  I'm
> curious if anyone out there actually writes code for libminc2?  Are
> they
> expecting that people will happily go convert all their data?

Yup. And yup. Begone, ICVs!. The transition is quite painless - a
single command during which no data or headers are lost - and since
all the tools can work on minc2 files after a simple recompile (or
so's the theory, which so far is holding true in practice), this
really isn't that bad a deal.

> We have
> terabytes of data - converting it all would be fairly complicated, to
> put it mildly.  Not to mention, that even had we converted it all, as
> soon as someone runs a minc tool, odds are we'll have minc1 files
> again

That default is easily changed. Moreover, the minc tools produce
output files based on what the inputs where. So, given two input
minc2 files, for example, mincmath should produce an output minc2
file as well.

I'll let Bert and/or Leila speak to the design decisions ...

Jason