[MINC-development] AX_CHECK_GL and friends

Andrew Janke Andrew Janke <a.janke@gmail.com>
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 22:22:32 +1000

On Apr 1, 2005 5:11 PM, Steve M. Robbins <steven.robbins@videotron.ca> wrote:

> > I found [missing macros] in the autoconf macro archive and can now
> > build Display.

Given that these macros are in the acmacros package/distribution, I
had figured it best to not include them in case they were updated or
the likes.

Would you still reccomend including a static version of them with
Display/Register/etc?  Myself I'd prefer to use as much of what is
"out there" as opposed to rolling our own all the time?

> Murphy strikes again: I wrote that before the build actually finished
> and then discovered that Display wouldn't link.  :-(
>
> The PPM library wasn't linked in (needed by bicpl).  The root cause is
> that AM_PROG_LIBTOOL was removed from configure.in.  The check-in
> comment associated with this change is:
>
> revision 1.14
> date: 2005/02/03 09:30:54;  author: rotor;  state: Exp;  lines: +12 -16
>  * updates for OSX build with native OpenGL
>  * Added epm-header.in
>
> Was removing libtool necessary to build under OSX?  My libtool
> (version 1.5.6) appears to support Apple's darwin.

Likely not. But then, I don't remember purposely removing it. The
bicpl thing was something that I need to fix.  none of the binary
releases specify any graphic library, as such things like ray_trace
have no binary build, and the binary versions of register/Display
won't be able to export images.

I had heard on the grapevine that bert had a imagemagick version of
bicpl and have been eagerly awaiting that instead.  Reason being I
haven't (yet) been able to build bicpl using ppm on the mac yet. :(

> The *advantage* of linking against bicpl using libtool is that
> libbicpl.la lists all the required libraries:
>
>   # Libraries that this one depends upon.
>   dependency_libs=' -lppm /usr/lib/libvolume_io.la /usr/lib/libminc.la -lnetcdf -lm'
>
> and libtool picks these up when composing the link line for Display.
> The list of dependencies of bicpl is not static -- it depends on the
> configuration options when bicpl is built, notably options
> --with-image-ppm and --with-image-sgi.  So the dependencies cannot
> be hard coded in the Display build system.  You could conceivably
> try to auto-detect them, but since libtool exists to save you
> from this why not use it?

Given my rudimentary understanding of the complete autoconf/make
system (I know what I need to know and a little more in order to get
me into trouble), I bow in deference to you with respects to things
like this :)

I suspect there will be more subtle changes soon to Display/register
for the upcoming binary mingw/cygwin builds (soon, soon).  So, do you
prefer to add libtool back in or shall I? And if you do, can you test
the build on OSX too please?