[MINC-development] AX_CHECK_GL and friends

Steve M. Robbins minc-development@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Fri, 01 Apr 2005 02:11:09 -0500

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 01:12:03AM -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:

> I found [missing macros] in the autoconf macro archive and can now
> build Display.

Murphy strikes again: I wrote that before the build actually finished
and then discovered that Display wouldn't link.  :-(

The PPM library wasn't linked in (needed by bicpl).  The root cause is
that AM_PROG_LIBTOOL was removed from configure.in.  The check-in
comment associated with this change is:

revision 1.14
date: 2005/02/03 09:30:54;  author: rotor;  state: Exp;  lines: +12 -16
 * updates for OSX build with native OpenGL
 * Added epm-header.in

Was removing libtool necessary to build under OSX?  My libtool
(version 1.5.6) appears to support Apple's darwin.

The *advantage* of linking against bicpl using libtool is that
libbicpl.la lists all the required libraries:

  # Libraries that this one depends upon.
  dependency_libs=' -lppm /usr/lib/libvolume_io.la /usr/lib/libminc.la -lnetcdf -lm'

and libtool picks these up when composing the link line for Display.
The list of dependencies of bicpl is not static -- it depends on the
configuration options when bicpl is built, notably options
--with-image-ppm and --with-image-sgi.  So the dependencies cannot
be hard coded in the Display build system.  You could conceivably
try to auto-detect them, but since libtool exists to save you
from this why not use it?

-Steve