[MINC-development] NetCDF/HDF5 Proposal Approved (fwd)

Robert VINCENT minc-development@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 21:28:21 -0500

Thanks for forwarding this, Peter.  We knew that this was a possibility
from our discussions with Russ and Mike.

It's difficult to know how much this will help us, although it certainly
shouldn't hurt.  Their two-year timeframe may be too long for us to plan
on relying on NetCDF 4 for NIfTI and other related projects, but perhaps
some features (like named dimensions) useful to MINC will get added to
HDF5 soon.

This seems to cement the idea that as a file format, NetCDF is a dead end.

	-bert