[MINC-development] Draft API for MINC 2.0

Steve ROBBINS minc-development@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 17:17:29 -0400

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 04:42:31PM -0400, John G. Sled wrote:

> http://www.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/users/jgsled/outgoing/minc2.0/
>
> Please read it over a let us know what you think.  If you find any
> loose ends please pull on them.

Wow -- that looks like a lot of work.

Is there a gentler introduction that outlines the concepts and
data types?  For instance, what is a "group"?  What is the "path"
argument that many functions take?  Is this api layered on top of
hdf5?  If so, is it necessary to understand it to read the new api
document?

If I view the current MINC libraries as volume_io layered on top
of minc, which is in turn layered on top of netcdf; what "layer"
is the new api?  If it supplants both minc and volume_io, then
does it make sense to group the new api in a similar set of layers?

> We want the final API to
> comprehensive, self-consistent, general, easy to understand, easy to
> use and well documented.

Can we add "extensible" to that list?

-S