[MINC-development] mincpik

Steve ROBBINS minc-development@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:38:27 -0500

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 09:34:30AM +1000, Andrew Janke wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Steve ROBBINS wrote:
>
> > > I have updated the source in /s/s/minc_dev/mincpik.
> >
> > Mincpik is a very useful tool.  Is there any reason we shouldn't
> > incorporate it into the MINC sources?
>
> Peter expressed a (fairly good) reason for this a while back to me.  He thinks
> it shouldn't be included as it then brings perl into the base minc distro.

I'm not convinced by this argument.  MINC already has a tool (albeit a rather
obscure one) with nontrivial requirements: mincview uses "xv".

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 07:36:13PM -0500, Peter NEELIN wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Andrew Janke wrote:
>
> > Peter expressed a (fairly good) reason for this a while back to me.  He thinks
> > it shouldn't be included as it then brings perl into the base minc distro.
>
> Times have changed, perl is fairly ubiquitous, perhaps it is time to drop
> that rule... Also, with a couple of eager packagers, the configuration
> could be made to do the work of figuring out where perl lives (if
> anywhere) and do the right thing.

Yes, absolutely.  We do this already for mni_autoreg, e.g.

> On the other hand, perhaps a separate
> package of minc extras might make it easier for those only interested in
> "core" minc. Thoughts, Steve?

I think small scripts like volpik fit well in core MINC, myself.  It's along
the lines of mincdiff and mincedit (and Andrew's minchistory).  It's much
easier on someone installing from source to get everything at once.  The
binary package makers are still free to split things up: Debian's packaging
has separate "minc-tools" and "libminc-dev" packages, for example.

-Steve