[MINC-development] binary distribution

Steve ROBBINS minc-development@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 01:06:36 -0500

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 10:05:02AM -0500, Jason Lerch wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the binary distribution project is slowly progressing; see here:
>
> http://www.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/software/distribution/
>
> A question about dpkg for those debian afficionados: does anyone know
> of the dpkg tools existing for RedHat? Even though I'm using epm to
> build all the packages, I still need the native packaging tools to
> actually create those respective packages.

I don't know about dpkg on redhat, but it would be easy enough
for me to build the packages on a debian system.

> Some other questions I could use some advice on:
>
> * should the creation of these binary packages become part of the make
>   dist mechanism, or live as a separate script. I'm leaning toward the
>   latter as I think that it'll be easier to implement, but am willing
>   to be convinced otherwise.

Easier to implement is good.  It shouldn't be part of "make dist",
in any case: that's for source distributions.  You could add rules
for "make rpm", etc or a do-it-all "make bindist", perhaps.

> * The headers for the packages should arguably be included in the CVS
>   tree for each respective package. Where should the netcdf package
>   header reside?

Headers?  You're talking about the input to epm?  Then I agree.
For non-MNI stuff (netcdf) I'd make a CVS directory for all foreign
stuff and put it there.

-S