[MINC-development] binary distribution

Jason Lerch minc-development@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:05:02 -0500

Hi all,

the binary distribution project is slowly progressing; see here:

http://www.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/software/distribution/

A question about dpkg for those debian afficionados: does anyone know
of the dpkg tools existing for RedHat? Even though I'm using epm to
build all the packages, I still need the native packaging tools to
actually create those respective packages.

Some other questions I could use some advice on:

* should the creation of these binary packages become part of the make
  dist mechanism, or live as a separate script. I'm leaning toward the
  latter as I think that it'll be easier to implement, but am willing
  to be convinced otherwise.
* The headers for the packages should arguably be included in the CVS
  tree for each respective package. Where should the netcdf package
  header reside?
* What version of mni_autoreg is the one that should be distributed?
* Should we create packages for the perl libraries as well, or rely on
  the perl installation mechanism?

I have not really tested any of the packages, and am somewhat
reluctant to on my machine as I'm currently quite happy with my
/usr/local/mni and therefore reluctant to mess it up - so testers are
welcome!

Cheers,

Jason