[MINC-development] Welcome

Jason Lerch minc-development@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 16:20:11 -0500

> #12 The handling of numeric formats should be reexamined.  In the present
> scheme when using volume IO there is one number type for the original file,
> another for the in memory volume and a third, either floating point or
> integer, that has meaning to the user.  If this is combined with a
> caching mechanism then it would seem more sensible to cache this
> latter type rather than either of the former two.  On a related note,
> perhaps it would also be helpful to distinguish between files that
> are meant to be interpreted as integers and those that are not.

A little aside - that functionality exists to a limited extent in the
bicpl with the label volume concept. That was also one of the main
reasons for me to start on my (badly named) oobicpl library, which is
a C++ wrapper to volume_io and bicpl for handling volumes, where there
is a subclass each for regular (floating point) and label (integer)
volumes.

But I do like all of your additions to the wishlist for MINC 2.0

As another aside, I've created a web pagehere:

http://www.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/software/minc2

wich has absolutely no content, but is owned by Bert (this is news to
him too) and might serve as a good place to place various design
documents as ideas begin to cement on this list.

Jason