[MINC-development] Welcome

John G. Sled minc-development@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 16:04:42 -0500

Hi Bert,

I'm back in Toronto and have had a chance to talk to my colleagues at
MICe about the MINC meeting.  We are pleased that the BIC is committed
to improving the MINC format and we are keen to collaborate with you
on this project.  As discussed at the meeting, I think this mailing
list should be a good way to collect the ideas of interested parties
so as to put together a design proposal (MINC 2.0?).  I had suggest we
meet in Montreal in December to go over the details; however, that
doesn't seem feasible at this point.  Can we set a meeting for mid
January instead?

I have a few additions to your list of MINC wishes.

#8  MINC should support a multiresolution representation of the data
that would allow one to efficiently work with data at reduced resolutions.
This has obvious implications for visualization tools, but may also
be an asset in implementing segmentation and registration schemes
that are multiscale.  One proposal for handling this is to use a
Harr wavelet decomposition.

#9 MINC should internally handle compression in either a lossy or lossless
manner.

#10 An interesting suggestion that came up at the meeting is that
the MINC API should also address our interest in remote visualization
by providing network access to data.  In a sense the problems of
working with out of core data and working with remote data are the
same.  In principle the API could be set up to make little distinction
between file:/myfile.mnc and minc://myserver.ca/myfile.mnc

#11 MINC should have an expanded set of languages that it supports.
There is much enthusiasm here for a C++ API that hides some of the
complexity.  At the meeting it was also suggested that a JAVA API would
be a good strategic choice.

#12 The handling of numeric formats should be reexamined.  In the present
scheme when using volume IO there is one number type for the original file,
another for the in memory volume and a third, either floating point or
integer, that has meaning to the user.  If this is combined with a
caching mechanism then it would seem more sensible to cache this
latter type rather than either of the former two.  On a related note,
perhaps it would also be helpful to distinguish between files that
are meant to be interpreted as integers and those that are not.

A minor comment, on point #4: when MINC is compiled on a 32bit
architecture with the large file operating system flags then it does
work with files larger than 2GB.  I haven't tested this extensively,
but the minc* tools appear to work.

cheers,

John

Hospital for Sick Children