[Loris-dev] Setting up LORIS instance -- help with PSCID

Christine Rogers christine.rogers at mcgill.ca
Fri Mar 10 11:41:34 EST 2017

Hi Michael,
I can point to some clarifications on these IDs and terms, with links
included to the Wiki documentation:

- PSC (Project Study Centre)
<https://github.com/aces/Loris/wiki/Project-Customization#4-define-study-sites>
means Site or Centre. Sites and their abbreviations are defined in the *psc*
table.
- PSCID
<https://github.com/aces/Loris/wiki/Project-Customization#v-customizable-participant-identifiers>
is the candidate(subject) ID usually assigned/used by data collection site
staff.  For example, a recruiting coordinator would typically refer to a
subject by their PSCID.   It is customizable in config.xml, and is
typically composed of the SiteAbbreviation (from psc table) + a sequence of
digits (e.g. AAA0001)

In contrast, DCCID
<https://github.com/aces/Loris/wiki/Project-Customization#v-customizable-participant-identifiers>
(aka
table column: CandID) is a 6-digit randomized ID generated for each
candidate, and serves as a second unique (and blind) candidate ID, separate
from PSCID.  It can be used as a double-check on the PSCID, and so will be
required in certain contexts (like the Imaging Uploader) to confirm the
exact candidate.

>  And the DCCID could be changed to manual entry of a 4 digit code instead
> of a randomly generated 6 digit code.

The DCCID could theoretically be changed to a 4 digit code, by modifying
all schema tables where CandID is defined as an int(6) field, and all code
which is impacted -- and it also limits candidate registration to 9999
individuals.  For these reasons, we don't recommend this modification.

- Visit label
<https://github.com/aces/Loris/wiki/Project-Customization#iii-visit-labels>:
 is the name given for the subject's visit or timepoint (or session).

In your example, $PSCID_$DCCID_$Visitlabel (used in Imaging file uploads)
-- this string identifies a specific subject-visit, using both IDs to
ensure absolute clarity about the subject/candidate indicated.

To add a project ID in the PSCID (meaning a subject cannot participate in
more than one study/project) -- please see my previous email (below about
customizing the PSCID composition.

Hope this helps,
Christine