[Loris-dev] FW: Loris Developers' Workshops

Dave MacFarlane david.macfarlane2 at mcgill.ca
Tue Jan 13 14:53:31 EST 2015

For any Loris developers who didn't receive this email, please see below.

- Dave

From: david.macfarlane2 at mcgill.ca
To: david.macfarlane2 at mcgill.ca
Subject: Loris Developers' Workshops
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 16:10:09 -0500

Hi all,

As I brought up at the ADM, I'd like to get some feedback on the idea of
organizing some Loris Developers' Works Hops, inspired by the BrainBrowser
workshops that Tarek organized before leaving. The goal would be to transfer
all the knowledge about everything developers need to know about Loris. It
would be open to anyone (not just the Loris team) who might be interested in
working on Loris or knowing how Loris works, but probably starting internally
in the lab.

There's two ways this could happen:
1. A full day event.
2. A regular hour long weekly event (until finished.)

I'd prefer option 2, but I'm not opposed to 1.

The type of topics that I'd cover are:

1. Loris code structure (what are different directories, what do they contain)
2. Third party tools used by Loris (composer, smarty, phpunit, PHP_Codesniffer, HTML_QuickForm...)
   What are they and how are they used?
3. Loris base classes
4. Loris module structure - what are modules and how do they work?
    (would explain the structure and design of modules in general, not any module
     in particular -- there's too many)
    (probably using the BigBrain Loris modules as an example since the modules are
     simpler)
5. Loris test coverage and coding style -- what gets tested automatically? What doesn't? Why?
6. How do HTTP requests get handled? (Loris entry point, how the dispatching works)
7. How is configuration handled?
8. How are errors handled?
9. Overriding Loris functionality (project directory)
10. Etc

Basically, the goal is to transfer enough knowledge in enough depth that a competent
developer would be able to sit down and start hacking on Loris, and it would act as a
refresher for people who don't hack on the code every day. Where possible, I'd try and
include enough historical background to know why things are done the way they are.

What I'd mainly like to know is:

1. Are you interested in following a series of workshops about this?
2. What topics would you like to have covered?
   (Doesn't have to be from the above, those are just generally the type
    of topic that I have in mind.)

If there's enough interest, I'll see what I can do to get it going...

Thanks,
Dave