[MINC-users] Time frame start values

Robert D. Vincent bert at phalarope.com
Thu Mar 28 09:42:17 EDT 2019

Hi Alex,

I've heard of these issues in a number of instances, I am (slowly, when
time permits) trying to resolve one particular case in dcm2mnc.

PET files often use the DICOM field 0054:1300, the "Frame Reference Time",
as the main (or only) indication of PET frame start times. However, as you
can see at the link I have provided, the exact meaning of this field is
undefined, so it is unusually worthless even for DICOM. Some PET sequences
use other fields to indicate the frame times, but consistency here is poor.

https://www.dabsoft.ch/dicom/3/C.8.9.4.1.5/

My intended solution is to use the frame widths ("Actual Frame Duration",
0018:1242) to reconstruct the MINC dimension by simply setting the start
time of each frame to the sum of the preceding frame widths. This relies on
the accuracy of these frame widths, but in my experience this may be more
reliable than relying on the frame times. However, if the frame times are
somehow meaningful, that information will be lost (or at least not stored
in a standard place). So my plan is to make this depend on a command line
option.

    -bert