[MINC-users] [RFC] [WIP] minc-diff-labels, diff and patch tools for minc label files

Gabriel A. Devenyi gabriel.devenyi at mcgill.ca
Mon Jan 22 21:27:55 EST 2018

Hi minc-users,

Inspired by a discussion I had with Dr. Mallar Chakravary and Dr. Jason
Lerch about tracking changes of label files, I recently attempted to
produce a data format and tools to compute differences between label files,
and store and apply differences, akin to the diff and patch tools for
source code.

I've produced a proof of concept implementation of the diff and patch tools
at https://github.com/gdevenyi/minc-diff-labels

Its probably fragile in a number of places, particularly, renumbering of
labels. Right now it assumes the label files are dimensionally is the same.

My initial applications are
- tracking changes to manual label sets (maybe via special git diff hooks?
a la git-latexdiff, https://gitlab.com/git-latexdiff/git-latexdiff)
- Comparing segmentations from different tools/parameters for a
segmentation pipeline

I'd like to hear about your possible applications of something like this.
Comments and questions also welcome.