[MINC-users] Announce - qbatch 1.0 - Execute shell command lines in parallel (serial farm) on SGE/PBS clusters

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Tue May 10 09:07:41 EDT 2016

Very tasty.

Was it designed as a drop in replacement for qbatch?

   https://github.com/andrewjanke/qbatch/blob/master/qbatch

I note a number of similarities in the C/L arguments. Any plans for
handling dependencies? I see code in there but no arguments to make
use of it? In particular to get around the hoops of tracking
dependencies via job numbers (that my qbatch returns) in PBS and/or
via names in gridengine? ie:

   $ for i in *.mnc; do qbatch --name STEP1-$i -- <blah>; done
   $ qbatch --name STEP2 --depends 'STEP1-*' -- <blah>

I ask as I use qbatch internally in things like volgenmodel in order
to abstract away from the various qsub's. Currently I handle this via
some pretty horrendous perl code here:

   https://github.com/andrewjanke/volgenmodel/blob/master/volgenmodel#L751

It'd be nice to be able to do away with it via your version!

I also find the notion of being able to define a queue via an ENV var
useful when you have a number of levels of scripts/perl/etc that don't
always pass arguments through.  ie:

   https://github.com/andrewjanke/qbatch/blob/master/qbatch#L69