[MINC-users] Issue with itk_convert_xfm

Alex Zijdenbos zijdenbos at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 15:07:37 EST 2016

However, itk_convert seems to suffer from a number of issues itself.

- it does not appear to pay attention to the MINC_COMPRESS env var, so MINC
output is not internally compressed (ugh!)
- it does not insert a history attribute, so minchistory doesn't like the
generated volumes
- it does not preserve the data type. From a few quick experiments, it
seems that any MINC volume that is not "unsigned byte 0 to 1" is converted
to a float NifTI volume. Not sure about the reverse direction. Is Kitware
friendly with Seagate? ;-)

The latter point applies to nii2mnc/mnc2nii as well by the way; neither
converter seems to preserve the file data type, or only does it in certain
situations. It's not clear to me what the logic behind that is. Avoiding
issues due to slice-based scaling perhaps?

I have now gotten to write an nii2mnc/mnc2nii wrapper that uses itk_convert
with some mincreshape to fix the above issues; hoping that nii2mnc/mnc2nii
can be improved.

-- A