[MINC-users] dcm2mnc for Siemens Biograph mCT 64 PET/CT scanner

Yoshitaka KUMAKURA yoshi.kumakura at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 09:31:10 EST 2015

Thank you very much, Andrew and Vladimir.

Here is my progress.

1)    I've installed dcm2mnc version 2.01.01 (built  2015), and found it
working much better. Now, MINC files converted from DICOM of Biograph
PET/CT can be viewed on MNI-register, and they look good, though I haven't
checked voxel values in detail yet.

In terms of recording the time dimension, I see dcm2mnc behave differently
from ecattominc. Frame MID times are extracted by dcm2mnc. But, this is a
bit confusing for old Siemens PET users, because frame START times were
extracted by (the good old days) ecattominc. We already have a lot of tools
customized for that.

<mincheader after dcm2mnc>
time = 15, 45, 75, 105, 135, 165, 210, 270, 330, 390, 450...
time-width = 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 60, 60, 60, 60, 60, 180, 180, 180,
180...

So, I would be even more grateful if it could be like:
time = 0, 30, 60, 90....

Is there any good idea to solve or avoid the issue of ambiguity in
recording "time" between dcm2mnc and ecattominc? I am also wondering where
this has come from.

2)    Our PET experiment is consisted of two PET/CT scans on the same day.
They are separated by a 30-min scanning break, and need to be concatenated.
The first scan's frame width is incremental, like typical dynamic PET
scans. The second scan's frame width is constant, 360sec (x 10 frames).
Some header lines that seem to be related to this issue are shown below.

SCAN1(incremental frame time-width)
double time(time) ;
time:start = 15. ;
time:spacing = "irregular" ;
time:alignment = "start_" ;

 time = 15, 45, 75, 105, 135, 165, 210, 270, 330, 390, 450, 570,
    750, 930, 1110, 1350, 1650, 1950, 2250, 2550,.....(truncated)

 time-width = 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 60, 60, 60, 60, 60, 180, 180, 180,
180,
    300, 300, 300, 300, 300, 300, 300, 300 ;

SCAN2 (360 sec x 10 fr)
double time(time) ;
time:start = 179. ;
time:spacing = "regular__" ;
time:alignment = "start_" ;

 time = 179, 539, 899, 1259, 1619, 1979, 2339, 2699,.....(truncated)

Here, time-with is unavailable in the 2nd scan's header. It would be very
nice if MINC experts could implement an option that forces dcm2mnc to work
in the "irregular" mode, so that the constant time-width would be
explicitly recovered in the 2nd scan's MINC header. In this way, MINC uses
like myself can feel more comfortable, when concatenating two dissimilar
files (after time adjustment, decay correction, head motion correction etc,
of course).

3)    Sometimes, stuck in "Argument list too long". Please help me learn
how to use find and xargs commands properly...

Best regards,
Yoshi