[MINC-users] Determining memory usage for minctracc calls

Matthijs van Eede matthijs at mouseimaging.ca
Mon Jun 8 15:45:43 EDT 2015

Hi all,

We are trying to determine/estimate how much memory a minctracc call will use depending on the file resolution, number of voxels and the step size used in the minctracc call. So far we have not been able to fit the memory data we've gathered in a way that can predict memory usage for a wide range of input resolutions.

One of the things we realized is that minctracc uses (at least one) memory saving strategy: if a mask is provided for the registration, the bounding box for the region of interest is determined, and only that volume is used for the actual registration. Does any know of any other memory saving strategies that minctracc uses? Or is there anyone who might have an intuition on how the memory usage should vary on file size and step size / resolution?

Thanks in advance,
Matthijs