[MINC-users] CPU Speed

Alex Zijdenbos zijdenbos at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 22:52:52 EDT 2015

Yeah CPU speed increase definitely seems to be leveling off. There are some
hardware reasons for that of course (heat dissipation seems to be one of
the main issues,
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/122050/what-limits-cpu-speed
).

But is the MINC benchmark perhaps not so valid anymore - at under 2 mins of
any MINC process, wouldn't the brunt of that time be spent on I/O, not
computation?

But yes, there's the increasing number of cores that do provide more
cycles, not counted in single-thread processes. Perhaps we should have
benchmarked with respect to $$ instead of time :-)

-- A