[MINC-users] Visualizing data with high dynamic range

Robert D. Vincent robert.d.vincent at mcgill.ca
Wed Aug 5 10:45:04 EDT 2015

Hi Andrew,

Display should be able to handle high dynamic range data. There is a global
variable "Convert_volumes_to_byte" which is true by default, but which can
be overridden either on the command line or the Display.globals
initialization file. You can set it either by specifying:

Display -global Convert_volumes_to_byte false <input.mnc>

or by adding the line:

Convert_volumes_to_byte=False;

to a file named Display.globals in your home directory.

Register has similar functionality, but it was added fairly recently, so I
don't believe it is widely available. The code checked into Github supports
two globals, Volume_voxel_type and Volume_voxel_signed, that control the
conversion of loaded volumes.

Hope this helps. I intend to change the default behavior in future versions
of Display, but I haven't made the change yet.

    -bert