[MINC-users] minctracc/masking bug?

Alex Zijdenbos zijdenbos at gmail.com
Thu May 9 22:36:51 EDT 2013

Hi Andrew,

In this particular set of tests I had adapted the minctracc
parameters, but I also usually scale the brains up to roughly human
size (by the way, the mice down under must be really tiny, or the
humans very large - I always use a scale of ~12x for mouse-growing (in
each dimension)). However I tried the same registration after scaling
using a vanilla nlfit series, and got very similar results.

The mask size definitely has an impact here; if I grow the mask, at
some point the problem will by-and-large go away. There also appears
to be a strong dependency on the grid step size; various experiments
still running.

When you mention a bias, are you talking about a directional bias?
Because that is what I see coming back in all my experiments - and it
has me rather concerned as a consistent directional bias in image
deformation would likely cause bias in population analyses, especially
for anybody looking at L/R differences. I suppose one solution to this
would be to run all deformations twice, once 'normal' and once
'flipped'; but ideally this wouldn't be necessary (and I suspect not
many people are actually doing this).

-- A