[MINC-users] MINC support in Brainstorm

François Tadel francois.tadel at mcgill.ca
Mon Jul 22 12:09:01 EDT 2013

Dear colleagues,

At the McGill MEG lab, we develop and support an open-source
Matlab/Java-based environment for MEG/EEG/sEEG/ECOG processing and
source reconstruction named Brainstorm:
http://neuroimage.usc.edu/brainstorm
http://neuroimage.usc.edu/brainstorm/Screenshots
http://neuroimage.usc.edu/brainstorm/Community

It is already widely used in the world and supports natively many file
formats for all sorts of data types. As we use the individual anatomy of
the subjects/patients to estimate and visualize the cortical activity,
we provide a variety of user-friendly tools for displaying and
manipulating MRI volumes and surfaces.

To open this analysis platform to the users at the Neuro, we are working
on adding an easy support of the .mnc format for structural T1-weighted
volumes in Brainstorm. For now, we are using mnc2nii to convert the
volumes to a NIfTI format before reading them. This works as a temporary
solution, but leads to a few questions:

1) There is no current distribution of mnc2nii for Windows systems. I
found an old one on a website (I didn't keep track of where), but that
is probably outdated:

    program: 2.0.15
    libminc: 2.0.15
    netcdf : 3.5.0
    HDF5   : 1.6.7

=> Is there a way to get a new build (and regular updates) of this
program for Windows systems?
=> Can we re-distribute this Windows version of mnc2nii as part of the
main distribution of Brainstorm?

2) The mnc2nii solution is not going to be a valid long-term solution
for one specific reason: the import of the CIVET output surfaces in
Brainstorm.
By converting to NIfTI, we lose the initial MINC coordinate system, on
which all the CIVET output is based. If I don't have access to the
origin of the referential, I don't think I can register correctly the
cortical envelopes generated by CIVET with the corresponding T1 MRI.
Therefore we will need a different solution for importing the MINC volumes.

3) Since HDF5 and netCDF are formats that are fully supported in many
platform-independent languages (Java, Matlab, Python), will there be at
some point a MINC reader available that does not rely on any external
compiled library?
I looked at Pierre Bellec's Matlab functions
(http://code.google.com/p/mominc/), but for what I understood it does
the reading of the HDF5/netCDF contents and does not provide any tool to
re-orient the the volume in another standard coordinate system (such as
NIfTI).
There is probably not much to add to get a Matlab-based (or Java-based)
version of mnc2nii (that reads the MINC volume into a NIfTI-oriented
volume but with the full MINC header information).
Are there other solutions readily available to help us with this MINC
import?
Is anybody working on or interested in those aspects at the present time?

Those would be very helpful tools for us and probably for the developers
of other software packages as well. We would be willing to help for any
new developments in this direction, and more generally support the
integration between the different software environments at the Neuro.

Thanks
Francois

--
François Tadel, MSc
MEG / McConnell Brain Imaging Center / MNI / McGill University