[MINC-users] MINC 2 api and RAM/HD access

Soren Christensen sorench at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 04:10:33 EDT 2012

Hi,
 I am am working on some MINC files sized at ~3GB and views ("hyper
slabs" in minc speak) of this data to the GPU for display purposes. I
can't put the whole thing on the GPU at once so I am using
miget_voxel_value_hyperslab and setting the apparent order as
appropriate for the view I want. This seems to be a little slow,
especially over my nfs mount. I assume this is due to the extensive
jumping around the file required for changing the stride on the data.
It would be great if the MINC file could be loaded into RAM, and I
could then continue to use the MINC2 api on the file. The alternative
is of course to read in the whole voxel volume, but then I have to
worry about stride etc my self - I'd rather leave that to the API if
possible.  Is there a way to "cache" the data in RAM for this purpose?
  I can't find it in the API, but I was hoping for some pointers as to
what it would take to achieve this.

Thanks
Soren