[MINC-users] mincaverage behaviour

Johnathon Walls Johnathon.Walls at regeneron.com
Wed Oct 17 18:50:07 EDT 2012

Ok, thanks for letting me know!

jrw
--
Johnathon R. Walls, PhD
Scientist - Therapeutic Target Discovery
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals
777 Old Saw Mill River Road
Tarrytown, NY USA 10591-6707
Phone: 914.847.3006 Fax: 914.847.7544
Email: johnathon.walls at regeneron.com

On 10/16/12 10:28 PM, "Peter Neelin" <peter.neelin at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Oct 16, 2012 3:05 PM, "Johnathon Walls" <Johnathon.Walls at regeneron.com>
>wrote:
>
>>    I think perhaps the issue might lie in lines 533-561 here:
>>    [1]
>https://github.com/BIC-MNI/minc/blob/master/progs/mincaverage/mincaverage.
>>    Where vol_mean[ifile] is included in the determination of vol_total
>>and
>>    global_mean (lines 537 and 554), but the value of
>>    average_data.norm_factor[ifile] is conditional upon the
>>vol_mean[ifile]
>>    being > 0 (otherwise, the norm_factor[ifile] is set to 0.0).
>>    Any ideas if this is a bug (though perhaps not in the lines that I am
>>    suggesting) or a design decision?  If it's a design decision, can I
>>ask
>>    the reasoning? (Maybe I'm not understanding the meaning of world
>>values
>>    in minc files?)
>
>Looks like a bug to me. Not sure why I would not have tested for == 0.0
>(or
>better, abs(mean) > epsilon) - perhaps I copied the test for sum0 > 0
>(which does make sense, since sum0 is a count). Remarkable that no one has
>found it in the past 17 years.
>
>(Boy, that main() is embarrassingly long! If I were doing a code review I
>would definitely have something to say to the kid who wrote that!)
>
>Peter
>--
>Peter Neelin
>peter.neelin at gmail.com

*
This e-mail and any attachment hereto, is intended only for use by
the addressee(s) named above and may contain legally privileged
and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail, any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this email, or any attachment hereto, is strictly
prohibited. If you receive this email in error please immediately
notify me by return electronic mail and permanently delete this
email and any attachment hereto, any copy of this e-mail and of any
such attachment, and any printout thereof. Finally, please note
that only authorized representatives of Regeneron Pharmaceuticals,
Inc. have the power and authority to enter into business dealings
with any third party.