[MINC-users] multi-input output type/range

Peter Neelin peter.neelin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 06:21:11 EST 2012

On Nov 20, 2012 11:33 AM, "Vladimir S. FONOV" <vladimir.fonov at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Actually MINC2 even has a 'label' data type , which breaks compatibility
with minc1 layer, but behaves in a way that you want.

Oh, thank goodness! I was beginning to despair as I read this thread. It
was over twelve years ago (maybe fifteen) that I said that not adding a
label (integer) data type to minc was my biggest mistake. At the time of
creation of minc (1992), I was only dealing with real values, so minc only
supported float and fixed-point types (those types that you think of as
integer are in fact essentially fixed-point types). It was only when
Display became popular for segmentation that I became aware of the problem.
Labels really want to be treated as integers (although they have other
properties that are interesting - like the fact that neighbouring values
have no special relationship, so interpolation is just bad).

So it would seem to me that you want to be using minc2 (or getting someone
to implement a label type in minc1 and adding proper label awareness to all
of the core tools).

Peter
--
Peter Neelin