[MINC-users] multi-input output type/range

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 01:35:47 EST 2012

Hi Claude,

> or to explicitly specify the output type. Maybe adding an option such
> as "minccalc -like file.mnc -expression ...." would be an easy way to
> remind the user to choose an output data type.

This sounds like a very sensible idea. There is a "-filetype" option
for minccalc that probably few know of which is along this track. I
would prefer to not use -like given that this is already used for a
different purpose in mincresample so would prefer not to muddy the
waters.

So I'm open to suggestions. -outtype?

> About loss of data, I think this is a separate issue. Binarization
> of data is part of the minc concept, but what I don't like about it,
> especially for integer data types, are the different min/max scaling
> values by slice. This means a value of 100 can vary from slice to
> slice. This is particularly annoying with labels. I think Andrew
> once pointed out a global compilation variable to set to obtain
> a global min/max for the entire volume, but I forgot it since. I
> would very much like to be able to enable this feature on a per
> file basis via a command line option.

This would mean some changes to voxel_loop.{c,h} which would then have
to be exposed via some C/L switch. Probably the easiest way to achieve
this functionality is to simple specify the -range option (eg: -range
0 255) in minccalc.