[MINC-users] Best plane (axial or coronal) for CIVET processing?

Alex Zijdenbos zijdenbos at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 09:34:07 EDT 2012

Hello Kie Woo,

>From what you are describing, I think that the issue you came across
is not an issue with CIVET but with the format conversion you used,
and/or the way the Analyze data were resliced. I would guess that in
the reslicing the world coordinate information (and probably other
metadata) was not maintained; so when you then convert these two
resulting images to MINC independently the images would - from the
MINC/CIVET perspective - be different and may thus yield different
processing results.

If the images would actually be the same, you would be able to load
them both in "register" and they would align; if they don't do that
(as you say), you have at minimum lost the world coordinate
information in the conversion or reslicing process.

To properly test the impact of dimension ordering, you should convert
the image to MINC once, and then use the MINC tools to perform the
reordering, for example like so:

   mincreshape -transverse <coronal.mnc> <transverse.mnc>

which will properly maintain the image metadata. In this case the
results you get from processing <coronal.mnc> and <transverse.mnc>
using CIVET should be the same; these two images should also line up
in "register" and have the exact same voxel values at the same spatial
coordinates.

The important thing to remember is that MINC stores much more useful
information than most other file formats, so if those other formats or
tools do not support those features, doing multiple conversions will
almost certainly get you into trouble.

-- Alex