[MINC-users] Official Installation Instructions

Mishkin Derakhshan mishkind at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 22:04:04 EDT 2012

I don't want to turn this into a "please help me with my installation"
thread, but here is the summary of my results. The good news is that 2
out of the 3 methods I tried worked! In true minc fashion there is
more than one way to get 'er done.
That being said, I still think it is frustrating for an end user to
figure out which of the three they should have used.

1. http://www.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/ServicesSoftware/ServicesSoftwareMincToolKit
using the 32-bit version of the toolkit, and the testsuite and the models.
I did have to run sudo apt-get install -f afterwards to install the
missing library (libjpeg or something like that), but all appears to
have installed okay. mincbeast in the pipeline does fail, but
register, Display, mincstats etc. seem to work fine.
ERROR! Allocation failure. Probably out of memory in
/home/vfonov/src/minc-toolkit/BEaST/alloc.c:186.
Died at /opt/minc/pipeline/pipeline_mritotal.pl line 182.
(Odd that /home/vfonov is hardcoded into the error msg?)

2. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MINC/Tutorials/SourceInstall
I followed the instruction from github (substituting BIC-MNI for vfonov)
ie. wget https://github.com/BIC-MNI/EZminc/raw/master/build_quarantine/Makefile
There was some error about mni_autoreg (sorry I didn't copy it), but
everything managed to install anyway so it must have been just a
warning.

3. https://github.com/BIC-MNI/minc-toolkit
I tried compiling from source from git-hub using cmake. I ran into
these problems:
(i) ssh-keys for github.
cd ../Register
  git submodule init
  git submodule update --recursive
Solution: https://help.github.com/articles/generating-ssh-keys

(ii) missing c++ compiler
thinkpad[~/minc-toolkit-build]$ cmake ../minc-toolkit
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND
Solution: sudo apt-get install g++
This should probably be added to the list of dependencies listed in the readme.

(iii) After googling for a while I gave up. Looks like a possible
error in syntax in the code?
thinkpad[~/minc-toolkit-build]$ cmake ../minc-toolkit
CMake Error at EBTKS/CMakeLists.txt:191 (STRING):
  string sub-command REGEX, mode REPLACE needs at least 6 arguments total to
  command.
CMake Error at N3/CMakeLists.txt:89 (STRING):
  string sub-command REGEX, mode REPLACE needs at least 6 arguments total to
  command.