[MINC-users] dcm2mnc and (ir)regular spacing?

Alex Zijdenbos zijdenbos at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 17:58:47 EST 2012

Hm the plot thickens on this spacing issue. I went back to the
conversion, and found this in the conversion log:

WARNING: Coordinate spacing (4) differs from DICOM slice spacing (5)
 (perhaps you should consider the -usecoordinates option)
 Using 5 for the slice spacing value.

>From what I can gather, the acquisition actually has 4mm slice
thickness with 1mm gaps, bringing the (correct) slice spacing to 5mm.
However, the coordinate spacing shows 4mm. If I use dcm2mnc
-usecoordinates I get a volume with the header I previously posted;
i.e., with a zstep of 4mm and a list of positions, also 4mm apart, in
the data section of the header. Although that is internally
consistent, the brain comes out looking 'squashed'.

Without -usecoordinates, the resulting volume has a zstep of 5mm and
is visually correct (in register); however, it still has the same list
of zspace coordinates that are 4mm apart. Besides the fact that that
is internally inconsistent, whenever I resample the volume it
immediately comes out 'squashed' again, so I assume that mincresample
relies on the explicit list of coordinates.

So it seems that dcm2mnc cannot handle these DICOM data properly
somehow (or the DICOM itself is bad).

Is there a way to remove the list of zspace coordinates from the MINC
header (other than by turning the volume into a stack of slices and
re-assembling it again)?

Thanks,

-- A