[MINC-users] best_nonlin_reg.pl ?

Claude LEPAGE claude at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Thu Feb 24 22:44:05 EST 2011

Hi Lisa,

The "best" scripts are part of the CIVET image-processing
pipeline for cortical surfaces (Brain-Imaging Center, Alan
Evans). They are not part of the mni-autoreg package for
volume registration, but they could be added to the package
eventually. They are a simplification of the registration
script mritotal. Unlike mritotal which incorporates linear
and non-linear registration in the same script, there are
two separate best scripts for linear and non-linear
registration. These scripts are easier to use (in my
opinion). Finally, there is another script called nlpfit
which also accomplishes non-linear fitting.

Are these scripts the best? They seem to be quite robust
and accurate. If you are familiar with minctracc, the best
non-linear registration scripts will use smallest steps of
4mm whereas the nlpfit script will use smallest steps of
2mm. The best linear registration script provides an option
to apply a brain mask, which I feel adds to the robustness
of the algorithm (provided you have a tool to extract brain
masks).

Perhaps you can tell us your intended usage of the minc
registration tools so that we can provide more focussed
guidance.

Claude