[MINC-users] Would you have a MINC tool to extract sulci from a gad-enhanced T1?

Laurence Mercier laurence at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Tue Aug 10 14:53:11 EDT 2010

Hello minc-users,

I would like to know if one of you has coded a tool to extract the sulci
from a gad-enhanced T1? I am programming a script to convert a
gad-enhanced T1 MRI into an ultrasound looking image. In ultrasound, the
  sulci look very bright and I need to model that.

I programmed some sort of a hack, but it is not very elegant and I was
wondering if anyone would have something better.

My version works as follows:

I get the CSF map with classify_clean. I then attempt to remove the
ventricles from there to only keep the CSF in the sulci. As the
ventricles of the patients I work on are far from normal (patients with
large tumors) I have to dilate the ventricle mask that I get because for
my application it is very important not to have any "false sulci".

In attachment you can see the result (sulci in red) which is not bad,
but is still not sensitive enough.

-------------------------
For those that prefer the code, it goes as follows:

#Dilate ventricles to make sure they all connect
do_cmd("mincchamfer $ventricles_mask ventricles_mask_chamfer.mnc");
do_cmd("minccalc -expression 'if(A[0]>6){1}else{0}'
ventricles_mask_chamfer.mnc larger_ventricles_inv.mnc");
do_cmd("mincmath -not larger_ventricles_inv.mnc larger_ventricles.mnc");

#Add that to the csf map
do_cmd("mincmath -seg -const2 1 1 $classif_tal csf_map.mnc -clob");
do_cmd("mincmath -or larger_ventricles.mnc csf_map.mnc
csf_map_larger_vent.mnc");

#Only keep the largest connected group
#ED is needed in order to diminish the number of groups, otherwise there
are more than 256
do_cmd("mincmorph -successive 'EDB[0.5:1.5:1:0]GB[0.5:1.5:1:0]'
csf_map_larger_vent.mnc final_vent_mask.mnc");

#Substract ventricles from csf to keep the sulci only
do_cmd("minccalc -expression 'if(A[0]>0.5 && A[1]>0.5){0}else{A[0]}'
csf_map.mnc final_vent_mask.mnc sulci_mask.mnc -clob");

Thanks for your help!

Laurence

--
Laurence Mercier