[MINC-users] Problem in Parallel mode

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 20:30:24 EDT 2009

> The files I am using are all MINC1 files.
> Does this help?

Well it helps me but you aren't going to like the answer that MINC1
files (as far as I am aware) don't support parallel access as they are
netcdf3 based. Netcdf4 does do parallel access but this is because it
is HDF5 underneath..

> In terms of where this error messages are being generated, it is just at
> the beginning of the program where I am trying to initialize the volume:
>
> volume_io::set_volume_real_value(_cf_minc_volume,n,z,y,x,0,value);

Erk! where does this C++ wrapper come from? In any case I don't like
to be the bearer of bad news but I doubt that anything that uses
volume_io will ever allow parallel access. (unless you do something
internally and have a single process that reads and writes the
resulting volume out).

It is possible to do parallel access with HDF5 files so if you are
careful with how you use the libminc2 functions if should be possible.
Either that or just use raw HDF5 calls on the minc volume itself.
This link should help:

   http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~wilkins/computing/HDF/hdf5tutorial/pprog.html

Good luck!

--