[MINC-users] mincresample - what is the expected behavior

Matthijs van Eede matthijs at phenogenomics.ca
Thu Dec 31 15:42:36 EST 2009

Hi All,

I have a question about the expected behavior of mincresample when using
a transformation file with a combination of rotations and translations.
The problem is as follows. There is a source file which has its center
of gravity in -510,0,0 and a target file which has its center of gravity
in 0,0,0. The source image should be translated to the target image and
then rotated by -4,1,-13. If I specify two transformation (xfm) files,
one for the translation and one for the rotation and apply these
sequentially, the resulting transformation is correct., i.e., it has its
center of gravity in the origin and rotated around that. However, if I
create one transformation file which contains both transformations, I
"loose" my file; its new center of gravity is not in 0,0,0 but in
14,118,2 suggesting that the rotation was applied before the
transformation. Is this the expected behavior for mincresample?

Thank you,
Matthijs