[MINC-users] Classify

Jon Erik Ween jween at klaru-baycrest.on.ca
Wed Apr 1 10:55:03 EDT 2009

Dear list

Sorry about the pics. They can be found at:   http://www.klaru-baycrest.on.ca/index.php?section=969

I figured out that the mask option in classify specifies which voxels
you WANT to classify (for us in the lesion world, we generally think
of a mask for those things you DON'T want to include, ie: The stuff
that will mess up the algorithm). So, the 3DT1 volume I want to
classify (with lesion mask overlaid and in tal space) is given in
Picture1. (You'll notice that the registration is not great, I get
some of the lesion in the ventricle! Any hints as to how to optimize
the registration with mritotal would be appreciated!).

Running  classify -clobber -user_mask_value 0 -tagfile tags.tag -mask
14017_083005_combo_lbl2_tal.mnc 14017_083005_3dvol_tal.mnc
14017_083005_3dvol_cls.mnc

gives me the result you see in Picture2. Lesioned whitematter is
classified as grey matter and grey matter seems to be way over
represented.

So, I figured out one way to go around this: Subtract the lesion mask
from the volume BEORE running classify. The result of this is in
Picture3. Here, we don't have the problem with lesion being classified
as grey matter, but normal grey still seems over represented.

Questions:

1) How to optimize the classification so the grey matter is more
representative of that seen visually on the 3DT1 (particularly the
cortical ribbon)?

2) When setting tag points in your tag file to feed classify, setting
paint label value in "Display" to "0" (for background) you don't seem
to record anything. One work-around I did was to set the value to "4"
and then edit the tagfile back to "0". Is this normal behavior or am I
doing something wrong?

3) Saving the tagfile in "Display" gives you a bit different format
(which classify doesn't like)  compared to the tagfile in ../mni/share/
classify/ntags_1000_bg.tag

Display "save labels .tag":  -82 -109 108 1 1 1
/mni/share/classify/ntags_1000_bg.tag:  -82 -109 108 "1"

Am I using the wrong function here?

4) Once I get a classified volume (and I have flair lesion and 3DT1
lesion in separate masks) how do I calculate volumes? I can't seem to
find the functions that do this, though suspect they are in minmath or
minccalc somewhere.

Thanks for all the help!

Cheers

Jon

Soli Deo Gloria

Jon Erik Ween, MD, MS
Scientist, Kunin-Lunenfeld Applied Research Unit
Director, Stroke Clinic, Brain Health Clinic, Baycrest Centre
Assistant Professor, Dept. of Medicine, Div. of Neurology
     University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine

Kimel Family Building, 6th Floor, Room 644
Baycrest Centre
3560 Bathurst Street
Toronto, Ontario M6A 2E1
Canada

Phone: 416-785-2500 x3648
Fax: 416-785-2484
Email: jween at klaru-baycrest.on.ca

Confidential: This communication and any attachment(s) may contain
confidential or privileged information and is intended solely for the
address(es) or the entity representing the recipient(s). If you have
received this information in error, you are hereby advised to destroy
the document and any attachment(s), make no copies of same and inform
the sender immediately of the error. Any unauthorized use or
disclosure of this information is strictly prohibited.