[MINC-users] MINC to DICOM

Alex Zijdenbos alex at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Fri Oct 3 11:21:54 EDT 2008

> it states that the first
> conversion you do is lossy, but that afterwards you could back and
> forth happily, given properly written converters.

Well this is exactly what I meant - I had implicitly assumed you would
have done a dicom to minc conversion to get the first minc. Indeed
that does not cover what a MINC could technically store in a header;
but mind you processed minc typically has even less information in the
headers than 'native' minc, so I think it just gets easier.

My point is simple: (a) there is a undeniable (and growing) need/want
for a minc to dicom converter; and (b) by accepting that the
conversion may/can not be lossless and/or invertible (as different
file formats store different things in different ways), we probably
*can* come up with a converter that works for most people in most
situations and does retain most 'standard' header fields.

This is exactly the case at the moment for the nii<->mnc converters
which by and large seem to work for people. I don't think nifti-1 is
fundamentally different from dicom in this respect - in fact, one
could argue that nifti-1 is actually 'dumber' than dicom.

I guess I will use the mnc2dcm Andrew provided in this thread (thanks
Andrew!) until somebody writes a better one :)

-- Alex (Z)