[MINC-users] MINC to DICOM

Jonathan Harlap jharlap at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Thu Oct 2 23:10:26 EDT 2008

<reposted from the right account - sorry if it shows up twice>

While this has been talked about many times, I have yet to see someone
do it reliably.  I've had this discussion a few times too many by now,
and so I think it's time to summarize my experiences here, where
future seekers of such info might find it, with the caveat that all of
this should be considered my subjective truth rather than a universal
truth.

The root of the issue seems to be one of expectation: If all you
expect is a set of DICOM files each containing one slice with the
header containing only the most basic of coordinate space definition
info, then this conversion is relatively simple and you can hack it
together with a combination of minctoraw and your DICOM package of
choice (dicom3tools, dcmtk, etc...).  However, in my experience people
seem to have this interesting notion that they should be able to take
some DICOM data off a scanner, run it through dcm2mnc and then back
through a fictional mnc2dcm and that the resultant files will be
identical to the input files, or that they can take a minc file
produced by some processing pipeline and convert them to DICOM while
retaining all the information that was in the source minc.  As the
header structures of the two formats are entirely different,
specifically where the minc header can store fairly arbitrary data
with user-defined keys while DICOM has a much more regimented [and
restricted] header structure, it is fairly obvious to anyone who looks
at this problem in detail that the fictitious ideal mnc2dcm cannot
exist.  If that is agreed upon, noting that I have yet to meet the
DICOM user who is willing to agree to this, then the question of what
DICOM header info to populate given the very flexible minc header can
be discussed and, in my experience, is unlikely to be resolved - at
least not in a manner that would allow for one tool to satisfy the
needs of the larger set of possible users.  The most often outcome
seems to be that a group who only uses minc in one particular way
defines their own way of mapping the minc header attributes that they
care about into DICOM private elements and consequently writes a
conversion script that other groups will find of little use.

Sorry to have to paint such a dark picture of this process - but this
is simply my observation of the issue.  If you want to give another
group's bad hack converter a try (where LONI Debabeler was your first
bad hack converter attempt), you can try NIH's MIPAV, but I'm guessing
you'll find it differently unsuccessful.  I'm not well informed about
NIFTI-1 tools out there, but I'd guess that there are also hack
nii2dcm-type tools out there which you could chain onto mnc2nii.

Cheers,