[MINC-users] Regarding Ubuntu packages

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 01:21:20 EST 2008

Hi Lars,

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 12:34 AM, Lars Johannesen <ljoh06 at hst.aau.dk> wrote:
> I tried to compile emma 0.9.9 (newest version from:
> http://packages.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/tgz/), I am running Ubuntu Feisty
> AMD64 with the minc package from:
> http://packages.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/ubuntu-feisty-amd64/.
>
> And when compiling the mex-part, I got a error about lacking -fPIC, so I
> downloaded the newest minc2 tarball from same place as emma, configured
> with:
> ./configure --with-pic
>
> Normal build, and re-compiled emma and it worked fine
>
> Could it be that the minc2 ubuntu package lacks -fPIC ?

Well I can say that it does. Given that I dont specify it. What I
think is going on here though is that before packaging I strip out all
the libtool .la files. There are many reasons for this but the
predominant one is that the current build system I use to do this gets
the build paths wrong and thus would give more pain than it is worth.

The better answer to this is that I am currently working on getting my
own PPA up and going here:

   https://launchpad.net/~a.janke/+archive

For all the MINC tools that will build (finally) upon Steve Robins
minc-tools build for Debian/Ubuntu.

> and is it
> possible to get the ubuntu-source package ?

Certainly:

   http://packages.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/tgz/minc-2.0.16.tar.gz

Is what I build from.

--