[MINC-users] Multistat error - ??? Maximum variable size allowed by the program is exceeded.

Marc BOUFFARD bouffard at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Thu Jun 5 09:00:47 EDT 2008

Hi Chris,

I have encountered this error before:

try

fwhm_varatio = inf

instead of -100

which gives a fixed effects analysis which seems to be what the error is
telling you in this case.  I think (to be confirmed) that this is a bug
whithin multistat.  It is related to this section of the code in
multistat:

      if fwhm_varatio<0
         % find fwhm to achieve target df:
         df_target=-fwhm_varatio;
         fwhm_varatio_limit=50;
         ff=0:1:100;
         dfs=[];
         for f=ff;
            df=regularized_df(f,D,Steps,numslices,df,fwhm_data);
            dfs=[dfs df.t];
         end
         fwhm_varatio=interp1(dfs,ff,df_target);
         if isnan(fwhm_varatio) | fwhm_varatio > fwhm_varatio_limit
            fwhm_varatio=Inf;
            varatio_vol=zeros(numpix,numslices);
         end
         fwhm_varatio
      end

      [df, ker_x, ker_y,
K]=regularized_df(fwhm_varatio,D,Steps,numslices,df,fwhm_data);
      df.rfx=round(df.rfx);
      df.t=round(df.t);

      if fwhm_varatio>0 & fwhm_varatio<Inf
         % Smoothing varatio in slice is done using conv2 with a kernel
ker_xy.
         for slice=1:numslices
            varatio_slice=reshape(varatio_vol(:,slice),numxs,numys);

varatio_vol(:,slice)=reshape(conv2(ker_x,ker_y,varatio_slice,'same'),numpix,1);
         end
         % Smoothing betwen slices is done by straight matrix
multiplication
         % by a toeplitz matrix K normalized so that the column sums are
1.
         varatio_vol=varatio_vol*K;
      end

   else
      df.rfx=Inf;
      df.t=df.fixed;
   end

In the case where fwhm_variatio > fwhm_varatio_limit it tries to calculate
regularized_df which gives an error.  Instead it should go directly to:

 else
      df.rfx=Inf;
      df.t=df.fixed;
   end