[MINC-users] Intracranial volume

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 18:09:51 EDT 2007

Well I am sure that Louis would disagree here... ;)

He wrote a thing called BICCR (Brain Intra-Cranial Capacity Ratio) at
one stage and published a paper on it. I am not sure where the scripts
are to do it though!

Perhaps email Louis Collins directly and he can point you in the
direction of the code that he used to do it. Either that or the FSL
route shoudl work too.

On 10/27/07, Claude LEPAGE <claude at bic.mni.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> I'm not aware of any tool to compute ICV at the BIC (maybe there
> is one but I don't know). Anyone here knows?
>
> I would suggest to try the -s option in FSL BET:
>
> -s : generate approximate skull image
>
> I've never tried it, but maybe you can use it for ICV. My guess is
> that it probably finds the external boundary of the skull as opposed
> to the inner boundary. Worth trying if you are curious.
>
> > The problem with skullstripping tools (e.g. FSL BET) is
> > that not only the skull is removed but also the dura and
> > the cerebrospinal fluid exterior to the brain. So,
> > skullstripping is in fact brain extraction. However, I
> > want to know the volume just inside the skull, the
> > so-called intracranial volume (ICV). Is there a MINC tool
> > available to derive the ICV?
> >
> > Ed

Andrew Janke   (a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)
Canberra->Australia    +61 (402) 700 883