[MINC-users] MINC 2.0.13

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 22:51:23 EDT 2007

> > http://packages.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/tgz/minc-2.0.13.tar.gz
> >
> > I would be willing to say that this is our first stable release of
> > MINC2 (or at least more stable than previous versions!)
>
> That's good news.  I'd like to package this version for Debian, either
> alongside the current Debian minc package (version 1.5) or replacing
> it.

Good good.  I guess I should start naming my packages on
packages.bic.mni.mcgill.ca slightly differently to save collisions
then..

> The library versioning, however, remains a problem.  Packagers such as
> Debian prefer to ship shared libraries.  For this to work
> successfully, the software must correctly version the shared libraries.
> Since you're using libtool, you need only follow the rules outlined
> in http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html#Versioning,
> specifically section 6.3.
>
> It would be helpful if the MINC maintainers would commit to following
> this procedure.  Is this possible?

Possible, although I suspect the more deep-seated problem is that minc
really needs to be split into libminc and minc-tools within CVS to
make life easier I guess?

I had thought that we were following libtool style versioning though?
(from what I can read of that page you mention) or am I missing
something? (likely).

The other note of contention is that I presume you will be building
shared versions of libminc whereas typically in the past everything
has been static.

Then to add another cat into the mix I have been working on a CMake
(shudder) build of MINC for the ITK integration stuff and suffice to
say I have found no easy way to sync the two build processes. :(  It's
hard enough to find any documentation on CMake out there without
buying the book as it is so getting the thing to behave as I expect
has proved problematic (make install,dist,distcheck etc).

Do you have any thoughts on CMake steve?  All those who use it seem to
crow its praises over autoconf/make but from what I have seen of it so
far it is easy(ish) to use but the lack of documentation and worked
examples of how things should be done is slowing me up a lot.