[MINC-users] autoconf trouble building minc2

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 07:07:39 EST 2007

Hi Rupert,

You are right, this is not supposed to happen.  Are you perhaps
building this on an NFS mounted dir in which build time-stamps are
getting messed with?  You can test this by building in /tmp (providing
this is also not NFS mounted!)

I will be most interested to know how you get on as this is supposed
to be the advantage of autoconf/automake!

In any case, you can always just download and install
autoconf/automake and thus aclocal in your own directory. they are
just big fandangled perl scripts in the most part and are perfectly
happy to be configured like this:

   ./configure --prefix=~rbrooks/opt

On Nov 12, 2007 4:23 AM, Rupert Brooks <rupe.brooks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build minc2 on a linux system which has (apparently) a
> different version of autoconf from the one used to create the minc2
> configure script.  So when i do
>
> ./configure --prefix=$HOME --enable-minc2
>
> all seems well, but when i make, i get the error message shown below.
> Make is wanting to do some autoconf stuff, and the wrong version of
> autoconf is on that machine. The version of autoconf present on the
> machine is:
>
> [rupert at nunatak3 rupert]$ autoconf --version
> autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.57
> Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

> It seems odd to me that the MINC code is distributed still requiring
> autoconf to be run?  Is this a bug?  However, it successfully builds
> on other systems so perhaps not.  The problem is i really don't know
> how to use autoconf - Is there a way i can regenerate the build
> scripts so that it will be happy?
>
> I could try and pester the sysadmin to upgrade, but this may not be a
> terribly successful road, as the machine is a cluster used by many
> researchers and fixing my builds may of course break theirs.
>
> Cheers
> Rupert B.
>
> PS - i experienced this with MINC-2.0.13 and 14.
>
> Error messages:
> [rupert at nunatak3 minc-2.0.13]$ make
> cd . && /bin/sh
> /global/home/rupert/src/minc-2.0.13/ac_config_aux/missing --run
> aclocal-1.10 -I m4
> /global/home/rupert/src/minc-2.0.13/ac_config_aux/missing: line 54:
> aclocal-1.10: command not found
> WARNING: `aclocal-1.10' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
>          you modified `acinclude.m4' or `configure.in'.  You might want
>          to install the `Automake' and `Perl' packages.  Grab them from
>          any GNU archive site.
>  cd . && /bin/sh
> /global/home/rupert/src/minc-2.0.13/ac_config_aux/missing --run
> automake-1.10 --gnu
> /global/home/rupert/src/minc-2.0.13/ac_config_aux/missing: line 54:
> automake-1.10: command not found
> WARNING: `automake-1.10' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
>          you modified `Makefile.am', `acinclude.m4' or `configure.in'.
>          You might want to install the `Automake' and `Perl' packages.
>          Grab them from any GNU archive site.
> cd . && /bin/sh
> /global/home/rupert/src/minc-2.0.13/ac_config_aux/missing --run
> autoconf
> aclocal.m4:17: error: this file was generated for autoconf 2.61.
> You have another version of autoconf.  If you want to use that,
> you should regenerate the build system entirely.
> aclocal.m4:17: the top level
> autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 63
> make: *** [configure] Error 1
> [rupert at nunatak3 minc-2.0.13]$ autoconf
> aclocal.m4:17: error: this file was generated for autoconf 2.61.
> You have another version of autoconf.  If you want to use that,
> [...]

Andrew Janke   (a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)
Canberra->Australia    +61 (402) 700 883