[MINC-users] New packages available..

EJ Nikelski nikelski at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Sat Nov 10 13:47:45 EST 2007

Hi Andrew,

   I'm currently building the tools from source ... and I have a
question about Szip usage in HDF5.  Are we building HDF5 to use Szip
for both compression and decompression? Or are we using zlib only for
compression? I would hate to build everything without Szip locally,
only to find that I am unable to read BIC-generated volumes.

Thanks,

-Jim

On 11/8/07, Alex Zijdenbos <alex at bic.mni.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Thanks, and much needed! :)
>
> Out of curiosity - how do these play with the MINC1 deb packages? All
> the MINC2 installs in /usr/local/bic, whereas MINC1 goes in
> /usr/local/mni, so theoretically they are safe to keep side-by-side
> (leaving aside why one might want to do this), right?
>
> But then package naming comes in - say one has all the MINC1 deb
> packages installed, one adds a new line for the MINC2 packages to
> sources.list, and runs apt-get update/upgrade. As far as I can tell
> that will upgrade only minc and bicpl to MINC2, and leave a bunch of a
> scattered minc1 and minc2 stuff in both /usr/local/{mni,bic}.
>
> I suppose there is no way to keep a parallel MINC1 and MINC2 install
> while relying on the deb packages?
>
> On a related note, these packages install OK on debian sarge, but
> won't run because libhdf5-1.6.5 does not seem to be available as a
> sarge package (1.6.2 is).
>
> -- A
>
> On Nov 7, 2007 10:46 PM, Andrew Janke <a.janke at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Given the large number of changes in many of the MINC tools as of
> > late, I have finally got to building a bunch of binary packages using
> > MINC2 with all the latest patches.  So far I have built things for
> > i386 and amd64 Ubuntu.  Get them here:
> >
> >    http://packages.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/ubuntu-feisty-amd64/
> >
> > or
> >
> >    http://packages.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/ubuntu-feisty-i386/
> >
> > To make them work just add something like this to your /etc/apt/sources.list
> >
> >    deb http://packages.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/ubuntu-feisty-amd64 ./
> >
> > I will get to OSX packages and the likes soon but these will all be
> > MINC2 as per the packages above.
> >
> > Let me know if they work OK for you.
> >
> > --
> > Andrew Janke   (a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)
> > Canberra->Australia    +61 (402) 700 883

Jim Nikelski, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Bloomfield Centre for Research in Aging
Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research
Sir Mortimer B. Davis - Jewish General Hospital
McGill University
Tel: (514) 340-8222 x 2298
Fax: (514) 340-8295