[MINC-users] New packages available..

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 17:33:59 EST 2007

> Out of curiosity - how do these play with the MINC1 deb packages? All
> the MINC2 installs in /usr/local/bic, whereas MINC1 goes in
> /usr/local/mni, so theoretically they are safe to keep side-by-side
> (leaving aside why one might want to do this), right?

I thought long and hard about this and finally came to realisation
that I did not want to call MINC 2 "minc2" if only for the obvious
reason that then what do I call mni-autoreg that is linked against
this?  mni-autoreg-minc2? etc.  So I stuck with the notion of
breaking/updating everything.

> But then package naming comes in - say one has all the MINC1 deb
> packages installed, one adds a new line for the MINC2 packages to
> sources.list, and runs apt-get update/upgrade. As far as I can tell
> that will upgrade only minc and bicpl to MINC2, and leave a bunch of a
> scattered minc1 and minc2 stuff in both /usr/local/{mni,bic}.

It should upgrade everything to MINC2 in time as I get to releasing
updated versions of packages. Note the "should". :)

> I suppose there is no way to keep a parallel MINC1 and MINC2 install
> while relying on the deb packages?

There is, but the only way that I know would be to rename all the old
packages minc1 or something. That seems just as ugly. I do know that
there are ways in which you can trick apt-get into keeping both but it
is not straight forward.

> On a related note, these packages install OK on debian sarge, but
> won't run because libhdf5-1.6.5 does not seem to be available as a
> sarge package (1.6.2 is).

Correct, I am slowly getting my virtual machines all working so that i
can build packages for all the various debians..

On that note, I would like to have some sort of informal vote:

What architectures are people using for MINC and thus which should I
build packages for?  I know we have these so far that are fairly well
used:

   * Ubuntu (Feisty + Gutsy in time)
   * OSX (10.4 and 10.5)

There are then also these ugly cousins:
   * XP + Cygwin  (not that well updated as I now have Vista)
   * Windows native (possible via CMake now but not pretty)

Get your votes in now! :)