[MINC-users] MINC-users Digest, Vol 23, Issue 8

Theo van Erp vanerp at LifeSci.UCLA.EDU
Thu Jul 5 02:16:07 EDT 2007

Thanks for your responses Jason and Andrew,

With regard to the following error when loading .obj files created under
IRIX and Displaying on intel mac OS X or Linux:

/usr/local/Display-1.4.1/Display  003_nu_4400_L.obj
Inputting 003_nu_4400_L.obj.
Error inputting binary data.
     (305839 out of 33554688 items of size 12).
System message: No such file or directory
Error loading 003_nu_4400_L.obj

I just wanted to let you know that Jason's solution (using ascii_binary, see
below) worked.

> The binary versions of obj files are endian dependent - so if they were
> created on a different endian machine (say a MIPS processor IRIX machine
> creates them and then a i386 linux box tries to read them) you'll get
> that error. Convert the files to ascii (using ascii_binary) on the
> machine that created the surfaces and you'll be all set.
>
> Jason

Andrew I also tried what you suggested below, but it did not solve this
problem.

> This may be an interesting "feature" of the OSX GLUT implementation
> biting you.  I would be interested to know if this works if you give
> the full .obj file name.  ie: /home/theo/blah/bue/foo.obj
>
> If so then start Display by itself with no filename and then under
> File->Preferences set the Current working Directory option and then
> Quit using the file menu.
>
> Then try again with a relative path.

Best, Theo

Theo G.M. van Erp, PhD

Clinical Neuroscience Lab
Department of Psychology                vanerp at psych.ucla.edu
University of California Los Angeles    voice (310) 794-9673
1285 Franz Hall, room 5556              fax (310) 794-9740
Los Angeles, California,  90095-1563
http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~vanerp