[MINC-users] minc2 build error -- resolved

EJ Nikelski nikelski at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Thu Dec 6 16:29:22 EST 2007

Hi all,

   I just found a solution to my rather bizarre error when building
minc2 (2.0.14). It manifested as a "multiple definition of `compress'"
linkage error.  To summarize, I did the following:

(1) Build zlib-1.2.3
(2) Build hdf5-1.6.6
(3) Build netcdf-3.6.2
(4) Build minc-2.0.14

  All steps up to the minc2 build looked good -- and the "make
check/test" was OK for everything.  The minc2 build (first on Edgy,
then on Feisty) failed with the abovementioned link error.

Solution:  Build hdf5 *with* the shared libraries enabled. Nope, dunno
why this should make a difference, but it absolutely does (for 1.6.6,
anyway).  So, my build options for hdf5 look like this -

./configure
    --prefix=/data/raid01/quarantine/Dec2007/minc2
    --with-zlib=/data/raid01/quarantine/Dec2007/minc2
    --enable-static-exec

Note the you can still build statically linked executables without any
problem. Only the use of the "--disable-shared" option causes
problems.  Without  this option all is well, ... even the "make check"
runs to completion when the run_tests.sh & run_test2.sh test scripts
are corrected (the list assigned to $tests needs to be quoted).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jim