[MINC-users] distorted tal transformations with 3T data.

Dylan David Wagner dwagne at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Fri Mar 31 22:23:46 EST 2006

Hey Minc Users,

      I've got 100+ mprage 3D MRIs from a Philips 3T scanner, all
acquired with identical sequences. I'm attempting to transform them into
tal space, but am finding the transformation is distorted for some, but
not all, of the images.

      I've included an anonymyzed dataset on scratch1 (ddw_talsucks) in
case anyone wants to poke around. The data were originally in analyze
and were converted to minc using nii2mnc. To rule out conversion issues,
I went back to the raw dicoms and converted some direct to afni and from
there to minc using 3dAFNItoMINC (we don't have a direct dicom 2 minc
script here). That didn't help.

       About 1/3rd of my images (30 out of 110) will not properly
convert to tal space, checking both the original analyze header and the
new minc header shows no difference in number of slices, step sizes etc.
I even double checked the scanning protocols at the scanner and everyone
is identical. The *only* difference I can find between files that work
and those that don't, is that the working files have an intensity
gradient (brighter in the middle) while the non-working files are more
uniform. I know, you would expect it to be the other way around, but
it's not.

       The range of intensities is pretty variable across all these
files. Tried clamping some of the files with mincmath (0-300) before
running mritotal, but that didn't help much. Nu_correct before mritotal
on the bad files seems to help a little, but the output is still distorted.

       The dataset on scratch1 includes 2 "bad" files and 2 "good"
files. You can see for yourself that the overall characterisitcs of the
images are identical. But check out the resulting bad*_tal.mnc for some
wild distortion!

       2 more things: we're using a SENSE coil to speed up acquisition,
I'm asking around to see if a bad sense reference scan could be causing
the variability between "bad" and "good" mris. And secondly, all these
images normalize without fail and without distortion in SPM2.

		Thanks,
		       DDW